[Nottingham] Linux Jobs ?

SkArcher SkArcher at ceasethinking.com
Wed Mar 17 16:27:33 GMT 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:40:07 +0000, David Ginger <me at ukGinger.net> wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone could tell me about the prospects of
> getting a job, using *nix and not windoze ?
>
> So far as I can work out besides your average small to medium
> sized biz, the Govt, NHS, Colleges and so on all seem to
> mostly use Windoze... Balanced with large numbers of highly
> intelligent people who are to enthusiastic to migrate to using
> *nix.
>
> So what is the demand versus supply ?
> Any ideas ?

I know from family that the NHS has a serious problem, not with Windows
but with the new MS licensing policies, which actually break the rules on
Doctor-Patient confidentiality of records.

The NHS is having to look at FOSS because it doesn't pose the same issues.
The Likelyhood of MS altering the license if a customer the size of the
NHS moves towards migration away from Windows is doubtful.

So, you might be able to find work for the NHS, particually if you know
much about the licensing aspects.

I'm more or less in the same boat as you myself :)

AL