[Nottingham] mkisofs weirdness

James Gibbon james.gibbon at virgin.net
Tue Mar 23 15:58:06 GMT 2004

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:14:02 +0000
Johannes Kling <jok at printk.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > Mounting the iso and nosing around confirmed that the files didn't
> > _appear_ to be present.
>
> I agree with previous poster: give us the command line. mkisofs has
> extensive support for hiding files in an ISO depending on how/where it
> is mounted, so just doing so might not show up everything.

This was the command line:

mkisofs -o ~/cdtmp/backup.iso -v -exclude-list /tmp/xclude -R -J .

I don't still have the ISO it created unfortunately, and to my deep
irritation was unable to repeat the problem this afternoon, although I
deleted and moved around a lot of data late last night anyway.

However, it seemed to be very conclusive.  du -sk . reported less than
700MB of data present; I couldn't find the subdirs I had 'excluded'
(containing about 70% of the data in the whole directory), yet the ISO
was the same general size as the whole thing (many times bigger than the
sum of the date I actually wanted to backup).

All very odd.  Thanks for the replies.