[Nottingham] Mandrake wireless networking

James Gibbon james.gibbon at virgin.net
Tue Mar 30 19:23:53 BST 2004

The imminent arrival of broadband to these parts, about more which in
another mail probably, is enticing me to consider dipping a toe into the
inviting waters of wireless networking.

I'd be particularly interested in hearing how easy or otherwise it is to
set up - whether it's necessary to download drivers and/or recompile the
kernel perhaps - particularly under Mandrake 9.2.

I need to connect two machines at present, a laptop and a desktop
machine.  I'm considering a Sitecom USB wireless network adaptor for the
desktop (since the ethernet card will be tied to the ADSL connection),
and a Binatone wireless PCMCIA card for the laptop - but I don't know if
these will work out of the box.  All comments, or other recommendations
are welcome.

Thanks,
James