[Nottingham] Magazine distros

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Sat May 1 11:27:47 BST 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 09:00, Darren Fuller wrote:
> I'm currently running Mandrake 9.2 which came of a magazine cover,
> they're not always as complete as the downloaded versions but they
> usually have all the necessities.

Linux Format is good for providing distros on their cover CDs/DVDs. They
provided the first 2 CDs of Fedora Core 1 with the January 2004 edition,
identical to the first two downloadable CDs. I didn't need the third CD
when installing Fedora.

The current (May 2004) edition includes Mandrake 10.0 Community. This is
really the RC2 of Mandrake 10, but if you install it and then download
the updates you will end up with the equivalent of Mandrake 10.0
Official (final release).

There is a small difference between the downloadable/cover CD version of
Mandrake and the "full" version which you get if you buy a boxed set or
join the Mandrake Club and download the boxed set CDs. The full version
includes things like RealPlayer and Adobe Reader already set up for you.
These have to be added manually to the download version.

For some reason, Mandrake 10 Official doesn't work properly on my
machine, whereas Test 3 of the forthcoming Fedora Core 2 is sweet as a
very sweet thing (apart from an irritating bug over monitor settings
which I'm sure will be ironed out before the final release). YMMV but
I'm sold on Fedora (despite a strong French family connection).

--
Michael Leuty <mike at leuty.net>