[Nottingham] Magazine distros

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat May 1 13:10:19 BST 2004

Michael Leuty wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 12:52, Martin wrote:
>
>>I'm about to upgrade to Mandrake 10.0.1 (Official)... What problem did
>>you hit?
>

> Everything ran like treacle.
>
> I assumed it was due to some incompatibility between the (fairly early)
> 2.6 kernel and my motherboard which has an nVIDIA nForce2 chipset.
>
> But who knows? You'll probably be alright.

Mmm... Curious.

There is a foible whereby if your networking settings are wrong in a
certain way, the system waits for network activity to time out before
almost every action... Fixed by setting your machine's host name and
network settings to something sensible. (Zeroconf trying too hard?...)

The 2.6 kernel has given a definitely more 'responsive' feel on other
machines I've tried it on so far. Now to try this machine.

Later, I may be 'offline' for 'some time'...

(:-|)

martin at ml1.co.uk