[Nottingham] Partition problem

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon May 3 14:39:48 BST 2004

Duncan John Fyfe wrote:
> On Sat, 1 May 2004, Martin wrote:
[...]
>>And "LBA" answers Duncan's disk concerns from earlier. It overcomes any
>>worries about differing disk geometries should you want to do a "dd"
>>directly from one disk to another.
>>

> No it doesn't.
>
> Pick up 2 nGB disks from different manufacturers and you will
> almost certainly find they are both ~ nGB but not quite the same.

Yes, very likely.

> Disk 1 may have 2000010 blocks while disk 2 has 2000000.  Thus if you dd 1->2 you
> won't have anywhere to put those last 10 blocks and you could lose data.
> Also you've just dd'd over a partition table which says the disk is bigger than it
> actually is.

It is always wise (healthyly paranoid) to do a fsck before and after
transfer. I usuall also do a "diff -q /dev/src /dev/dst" to check
against the unexpected.

> This is also a problem if you are replacing disks in a RAID array.

Very much so. But then, unless you are using JBOD mode, the disks
ideally should be identical for consistent performance.

> You have to make sure the new disks is >= the size of the old disk or you're
> asking for trouble.  This is quite difficult as most manufacturers advertise
> disks the nearest large unit (GB, MB etc) not actual size.

This is usually the case when doing upgrades!

> By the way, when you dd'd between your disks did you do anything about the badblocks list ?
> Certainly ext[23] and reiserfs maintain internal lists for these and you will have dd'd them
> along with everything else. Those blocks may not be bad on the second disk, but others
> underlying your newly copied data might be....

Good note. Hopefully with these new disks, there were no spontaneous bad
blocks between my running a surface check and then cloning. In the time
available, a fair miniscule risk.

... All this could do with being put into yet another mini-howto! It
seems an oft-asked topic. Another article for:
http://nottingham.lug.org.uk/new/
?

Regards,

martin at ml1.co.uk