[Nottingham] Single User Mode

Jey Davis techr at whatnotts.co.uk
Tue May 4 14:44:13 BST 2004

Incandescant wrote:

>Hello all!
>I've oft read on yon mailing list of starting up in single user mode and running fsck.
>However I've not been able to find out how you might do this?
>
>I know how to do it on my iBook under OS X (command - s) but not in Linux :s
>
>A9 revealed naught to me in a brief search.
>
>Thanks
>
>Josh Lock
>
>Lycos Email has 10 MB of FREE storage space. http://mail.lycos.co.uk

Hi Josh

You said that you were interested so here is some more info.

If you are using lilo type:
linux s (or)
linux single (or)
linux 1 or
linux emergency
(you will have to enter a password if there is one set)

If you are using grub type:
p (if you have set a password)
e (to edit)
select the line 'kernel' and add the word single (on its own) to the end
of the line
b (to boot)

You can also boot to an emergency shell by entering (with both lilo and
grub)
init=/bin/sh [rw]
(Google for more info).

Jey