[Nottingham] Odd request - drive multiple VGA

Michael perl at tecspy.com
Wed May 12 20:58:50 BST 2004

James Dobson wrote:
>>So you have gigabit ethernet coming out of the
>
> server, into 4 switches,
> one for each bank. Each switch would be running at
> 131/4=33 Mbps which
> is well within the capacity of a 100baseT switch.
>
> Just at a guess be he could also put more 100baseT
> NICS into the Xserver and segment the network in
> blocks that would work for a 100baseT (haven't got
> time to work out the amounts).
>
> I've ran some tests on network/linux speeds and you
> get at best 12Mbps on 100baseT and around 48Mbps on a
> 1000baseT.
>
> It actually sounds quite an interesting little
> project..
>
> James

Thanks for your replies.

It just got more interesting! We need to drive 120 LED boards, 16 6x4ft
plasma screens, and 420 28" VGA monitors too :) The LED boards will be
showing arrivals & departures in English, French and Arabic (ouch - what
font do I use - R to L text, etc.). The whole shebang is for an
international airport in Egypt. I'm hoping to quote for an exclusively
Linux solution and move away from the dark days of NT.

Regards,

Michael.