[Nottingham] Action required! New ("clandestine") EU Software Patent Legislation: a real threat for Linux and Open Source

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu May 13 17:11:31 BST 2004

Cam wrote:
> .... Political topics
> are best kept out of the LUG lists though, nuff said.

Political topics directly threatening the group/linux are very much
on-topic and require a response.

The theat of corporate patents making what and how you type to be
illegal is very real and needlessly disruptive in a very negative way.

Remember how clicking onto an icon was patented for a certain
business... Your index finger must be very illegal by now had no furrore
been stirred...

Patents are being abused (in my opinion very dangerously) by Genetically
Modified foods companies in the hope of monopolising our food. Other
corporate greed is trying the same trick with software patents to
control how we can or cannot use any programmed device...

MPs might not be technically savvy, but they do respond to the bulk
numbers of mailings for a topic.

Or which planet are you on?

Regards,

martin at ml1.co.uk