[Nottingham] iptables SMTP blocklist

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri May 14 15:21:31 BST 2004

Michael Erskine wrote:
> Hi all,
> Do any of you use iptables to block particular ranges
> of incoming SMTP connections? I'm particularly
> thinking of the large number of relay attempts I have
> coming from hinet.tw.

Using a GUI or other such as Shorewall, it is easy to 'blacklist' them
entirely or just blacklist for that port/protocol. You can also have it
silently blocked to avoid choking your logs.

If you're still stuck, email the IP range and I'll plug it in here to
see what iptables gobble-de-gook is generated...

martin at ml1.co.uk