[Nottingham] Back to my network questions...

David Aldred nr at familyaldred.org.uk
Thu May 20 01:04:23 BST 2004

Hello again!  Nice to have met some people in the Roebuck earlier...

Now then: talking at the pub gave rise to the idea that, for the moment,
rather than trying to get my Linux laptop (lap) to see the Windows XP
shares (on PC1), I could get Samba running on lap and get PC1 to see
that.  Then I can leave getting Windows to reveal all to Linux to a
later stage, when I've a month or two to spare.

I've got just so far with this idea.  I've used samba-swat to set up a
share on lap called 'nwfiles', which is set as *not* read only, and
"guest OK".  I've set 'hosts allow' to 192.168.0.1, which is PC1.  PC1
can now see lap over the network, and can see nwfiles.

But... if I try to open nwfiles from PC1, I'm asked for a password to
log on as lap/Guest.  (I don't think the capitalisation is significant -
Windows just does that to anything).  Whatever I put in the password
box, I just get the password request back again.

Is there something else I need to do at this point which is obvious?
(Apart from go to bed and see if it's all a lot clearer tomorrow!).

--
|\avid Aldred   / David at familyaldred.org.uk  \   Nottingham, England