[Nottingham] game troubles

Peter Chang Peter.Chang at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu May 20 15:55:44 BST 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004, danny wrote:

[about crashing programs when playing games]

> any advice on how to stop it? (ill be upgrading to mandrake 10...kernel 2.6
> soon and im hoping that may be a solution....but theres no harm in asking)

I get occasional lockups of the X server usually when there's flash
content on a web page. The flash is necessary but not sufficient. It must
some strange interaction with the nVidia driver and maybe ALSA.

However, I have the SysRq key activated so a quick ctrl-alt-Sysrq and k
will get me back to the gdm login and I restart my session. [The crash
recovery of galeon is very very useful.] On RH9, there's /etc/sysctl.conf
which has lines like

# Controls the System Request debugging functionality of the kernel
kernel.sysrq = 0

which I changed to

kernel.sysrq = 1

Peter