[Nottingham] Back to my network questions...

David Aldred nr at familyaldred.org.uk
Thu May 20 17:48:09 BST 2004

In message <Pine.LNX.4.58.0405200140590.3767 at boogy.blubbernet.com>, Mike
Cardwell <lug at blubbernet.com> writes
>On Thu, 20 May 2004, David Aldred wrote:
>
>> But... if I try to open nwfiles from PC1, I'm asked for a password to
>> log on as lap/Guest.  (I don't think the capitalisation is significant -
>> Windows just does that to anything).  Whatever I put in the password
>> box, I just get the password request back again.
>>
>> (Apart from go to bed and see if it's all a lot clearer tomorrow!).
>
>Type "man smbpasswd" from the command line. Read the whole thing,
>specifically the "-n" option which describes null passwords. Hope that
>helps.

That did it!  Thanks.  XP can now see and (after permissions
modification) read/write files on the laptop.

Now then: clean up any mess I've made trying to get this far, then
longer term try to get it working the other way round too!

--
|\avid Aldred   / David at familyaldred.org.uk  \   Nottingham, England