[Nottingham] Fedora Core 2 (was: Mandrake 10 moan)

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Fri May 21 20:35:26 BST 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 10:52, Simon Osborne wrote:
> I highly agree. I'm enjoying it a lot. However it's a shame the drivers
> for my modem don't compile under a 2.6 kernel yet (come on Intel, shake
> a leg) but this isn't Fedoras fault.

I'm now on my third different install of FC2 [0], and I must say that it
seems rather peachy. There's two things of note for me, though:

1. Upgrading an FC1 system can result in a slew of errors when logging
in via GDM to an X session - any mention of:

    Option "XkbRules"   "xfree86"

should say

    Option "XkbRules"   "xorg"

in /etc/X11/XF86Config

2. I miss cipe. A lot. I think that's been my "swiss army knife"
networking tool, very simple and very effective. Looks like I'll either
be attempting the hell that is PPTP in future (ick) or trying something
like OpenVPN instead.

Graeme

[0] That's because my first box blew up with a motherboard failure just
about five minutes after installation; the second one was an upgrade
from FC1 and this time I've wiped clean and started from scratch.
--
Graeme Fowler <graeme at graemef.net>