[Nottingham] Nettiquette and the Nottingham LUG list

Godfrey Nix godfrey at gnnix.co.uk
Tue May 25 06:38:08 BST 2004

Hi Everyone - listmaster here.

I have taken rather a back seat with this list over recent months, but I
feel moved to write to you all with a few pointers that may make life
(well, email anyway - and for some souls email = life) easier.

We do not want flame wars, so try to be polite at all times. I can and
will use the "force unsubscribe" button if need be.

Make sure your mail system is set correctly to receive LUG messages. If
I find bounce messages for non-delivery (spam filter, mailbox full or
account closed) I will unsub the address. I have been reluctant to do
this in the past, but as it is causing grief for some, I will have to
act sooner in the future.

Reminder to all that only subscribed addresses may submit messages. If
you are wondering where that message went you sent, then it was most
probably from an alternative address and was binned (I mean trashed,
sent to /dev/null). Also, some messages are being sent with HTML, or
other content that triggers the UKLUG spamtrap (excessive use of
capitals, exclamation marks, etc, etc) so please keep your messages
simple.

Avoid the 'me too' syndrome. If you have anything to add to a
discussion, then do not be embarrassed to say it, but please no message
with only 'me too'.

Things have moved on in the world these last few years since I founded
the Nottingham LUG with just a handful of interested folks turning up.
Linux has become more, dare I say, mainstream, with the attendant
increase in publicity. The LUG mailing list has grown with currently
well in excess of 230 subscribers. Sadly, as activities in the Baha'i
faith are taking more of my time, I have less time to go to LUG events
and I usually end up reading my emails at midnight I am planning my
calendar 3 months ahead, so getting advance notice of meeting dates is
very helpful to me. I am happy for others to take on the running of the
LUG - please give them your support.

Regards,

Godfrey Nix - Listmaster