[Nottingham] KDE: reserving desktop space - how?

msemtd at yahoo.co.uk msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 25 14:11:38 BST 2004

Simon Huggins wrote:

> Is there any reason you can't run xfwm4 instead of kwin?  You should
> still be able to run whichever other bits of KDE you want.

Good idea! However, I don't have xfwm4 installed ATM and I fear some loss of
KDE-ness functionality.

I dug up the KDE compliance matrix for the standard and found out that the wm
relies on individual windows identifying themselves as dock or panel windows
with a "_NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL" property or a "_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE" of "DOCK"
or similar (see
http://freedesktop.org/Standards/wm-spec/index.html#NETWMSTRUTPARTIAL)

The question now is: How do I set these properties on a particular window?

Regards,

Michael