[Nottingham] Nettiquette and the Nottingham LUG list

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed May 26 00:21:53 BST 2004

Michael Leuty wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 16:20, Martin wrote:
>>Godfrey Nix wrote:
 >>>
>>>We do not want flame wars, ...
>>
>>Ohh I don't know... The odd one or two can be fun!
>
> It depends on what you want to do. If your aim is to demonstrate your
> erudition and powers of sarcasm then flames are fit for purpose.  But if
> you want to change the mind of the person you are arguing with then they
> are counter-productive.

Very true. For my part, you can shoot me down in flames should I fall
into the erudite and sarcasm. I would hope to stay on the side of
'prodding' rather than useless flaming... And on the better side of OTT...

> Human nature is such that the more we are criticised and insulted, the
> more tenaciously we cling to the criticised beliefs.

Unfortunately often true, even to extremes of irrationality and egos...

> Only when people
> treat us courteously and try to understand our point of view are we
> likely to concede that they may be right.

Regards,
Martin

( To be taken with a beer and a smiley (;-))

martin at ml1.co.uk