[Nottingham] Bash: test "file exists" - gotme again

Paul Sladen notlug at paul.sladen.org
Thu Oct 14 14:43:46 BST 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, david wolfson wrote:
> There's some other gumph in the loop (sorting out zero padding and the
> like), but the basic structure is as follows

If the files already exist, I would probably tend to do something like:

  for NUM in `seq 10` ; do echo foo$NUM.tif ; done

or:

  for FILE in foo*.tif ; do echo $FILE ; done

or, trying to follow the syntax of your earlier example:

  BASE=foo
  NUM=0
  while true ; do
        NUM=$((NUM+1))
	FILE=$BASE$NUM.tif
	test -z $FILENAME || break
	echo $FILE ...
  done

	-Paul
--
Is there no safe way to travel?  London, GB