[Nottingham] broken vts

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 20 12:02:36 BST 2004

Hi all,

I have a bizarre problem with one of my Sarge boxes: the virtual terminals on
the console seem to be displaying the wrong data! I can work on the vts but I
can't see what I'm typing -- I get "old" data (messages produced during the
boot process) displayed as output for a while and eventually random data -
very colourful and occasionally blinking! This set of output data eventually
repeats itself regardless of whatever is typed as input and whatever output
is "expected". Lots of fun! The vts are rendered rather useless but I tend to
use X nowadays (not good when the nvidia-glx breaks every kernel upgrade
though!) so I can always "chvt 7".

Any ideas?

PS: won't be able to make the meeting this evening - Mike Haber should be
there and he's witnessed it (so I know I'm not mad... well not on this issue
anyhow!)

Michael.

--

"I am not a lawyer"