[Nottingham] Random words in service sheet shock horror

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Wed Oct 20 23:11:43 BST 2004

We currently have one of the machines in the Church Office running
Mandrake 10.0, and the secretary uses OpenOffice.org 1.1.1 to compile
service sheets for St Mary's, inter alia.

She is experiencing a weird bug in which random words are inserted into
the OOo document. If not noticed these then appear in the Sunday
service sheets to the bemusement or amusement (depending) of the clergy
and congregation.

I might have put this down to the secretary not knowing entirely what
she was doing, except that a very computer-literate colleague had
exactly the same thing happen to him while looking at the Mandrake box
in the office. He reports that "I was typing something into Google and
then went back to OO and one of the words I had typed had randomly
appeared in the document."

Has anybody else come across this, and is there a fix such as a Bear of
Very Little Brain might apply?

--
Michael Leuty
Nottingham, UK