[Nottingham] Re: About tape backups...

James Gibbon jg at jamesgibbon.com
Sat Sep 4 13:48:47 BST 2004

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 12:51:29 +0100
"Danny King" <danny at rootshell.be> wrote:

> In the close future i will need to start backing up data on my server. Tape
> backup sounds the most practical way to do this but i have a few questions:
>
> How much would a tape drive (and tapes) cost?

Hmm not sure really; depends how much you need to back up!  For example A DAT
or Exabyte drive might do nicely, although in many cases DVD+/-RW might be a
better bet for more modest archive/storage needs.

Or you might need DLT if you've got a lot more data to back up.

> How difficult is it to get one (and tapes)?

Again, it depends; but you can usually find DAT or Exabyte drives on Ebay going
reasonably cheap.

> Are they very hard to setup?

Very easy in my experience (An HP SCSI DAT drive, natively supported by every
distro I've ever tried with it).

Can you tell us how much data you'll be backing up?

Cheers
James