[Nottingham] logging on to Gnome

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Thu Sep 9 20:51:09 BST 2004

OK, so today I converted one of the Office PCs to Fedora Core 2.
Generally successful, I managed to get Samba going to share files with
the other Win98 machines. A few little problems remain to be ironed
out.

One is an error message while Gnome is starting. I can't remember the
exact words, but the gist is that Gnome can't find dhcppc2 on the
Internet and may not work properly. The options are "Retry" and "Log on
anyway". There is a helpful hint that adding dhcppc2 to /etc/hosts may
resolve the problem.

The computer was connected to the ADSL router with DHCP server during
installation, and seems to have picked up a machine name of dhcppc2,
this is what appears in the bottom right corner of the GSM log-in
screen. Adding dhcppc2 to /etc/hosts has not helped.

I seem to remember having a similar problem at home, several years and
many distributions ago. Unfortunately I can't remember how I solved the
problem.

Clicking on "Log on anyway" allows me to log on, and the machine can
then share files with the other PCs and connect to the Internet.

Any suggestions?

--
Michael Leuty
Nottingham, UK