[Nottingham] RE: FC2 and slmodem

Craig Lynch sabre_wolf17 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 11 10:02:23 BST 2004

Hi all,
I've sat back and watched the conversations going on in this mailing list
and realised that most of you are quite advanced with your knowledge of
linux. So, I was wondering, could you help me?

I'm a full convert and have been using linux for a while,
I've manged to learn quite a lot about FC2 and how it works, although, one
thing keeps evading me...
How can I insert a custom kernel module at startup?
The module in question is slamr (part of the slmodemd package).
I've managed to get the service that is provided with it to run, but I have
to insert the module manually and then restart the service everytime I
startup the computer.

All that I've gathered so far is that I can get commands to run at startup
by putting them into the rc.local script. I have tried using "modprobe
slamr" in here, but I get a bunch of errors in the sytem log and the module
fails to remain. (and yet the rest of the system carries on starting up,
isn't linux brilliant!!? )

This is the output in the system log about the slamr module:
Code:
Sep  6 21:01:41 localhost kernel: slamr: module license 'Smart Link Ltd.'
taints kernel.
Sep  6 21:01:41 localhost kernel: slamr: SmartLink AMRMO modem.
Sep  6 21:01:41 localhost kernel: slamr: probe 1039:7013 SiS630 card...
Sep  6 21:01:41 localhost kernel: slamr: mc97 codec is SIL21
Sep  6 21:01:41 localhost kernel: slamr: slamr0 is SiS630 card.

I've noticed a file called modprobe.conf with commands like this in:
Code:
alias snd-card-0 snd-trident
install snd-trident /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-trident &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-trident { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-trident

Would I do something similar for slamr? Something like:
Code:
alias <hardware-name - I'll get to that> slamr
install slamr (I'm not sure what'd go after here)

The hardware name is another thing I'm unsure of. I've used dmesg to get
this info about the linmodem.
Code:
00:01.6 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller (rev
a0) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
        Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-

I can't find anything that would relate to a hardware name similar to that
of, "snd-card-0." If this info is useless, what command can I use to find
out the hardware name?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Craig

(P.Q Just out of curiosity, why does modprobe.conf install the snd-trident
driver and then remove it again, or am I interpreting that wrong? I'm
thinking its got something to do with the ALSA integrated into the kernel,
but any other enlightenment would be helpful.)
(P.S Sorry about the long post, I tried to be as thorough as possible)