[Nottingham] k3b install, yum, gcc and libs

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Sep 17 10:02:35 BST 2004

Well, I got there, but the solution was VERY odd.  First off I went back and got the 'blah.src.rpm' and tried an '#rpmbuild --rebuild...' as suggested by martin (I think).  Nice idea, but came up with an even longer list of dependancies that before!  So as the page with the fedora/RH downloads was back online, I had a bit more of a poke about and found all the previous versions... Another long list of dependancies, that largely appear to be KDE realted...eh!?  As I only put gnome on to start with, and had the install discs to hand, I threw on a minimal KDE and Bingo!  Other than the expect problems with cdrecord/cdrdao etc, not running as root (solved with 'setuid') all seemed happy(ish), even running in gnome.  Are many gui's KDE dependant?

Anyway, as you will have gathered there still appear to be a couple of 'ish'ues:

First off:
<quote>On k3b, one thing to be aware of: once you've got it running, before burning
anything use k3bsetup (it's on the K3b menu somewhere).</quote>

k3b setup don't do nuffink except ask for the root password.  It doesn't on the work machine either...

The other problem is to do with ATAPI (?) setup on the drive(s).  The suggested solution is to enable ide-scsi emulation in the boot configuration, but as I don't really know how to do this :-s and suggestions from google seem to indicate this may not be necessary, I've not bothered for now.  What I really need to do is 'aquire' a couple of blank discs during the day so I can actually test it (D'oh!)

Thanks for all the help and suggestions

chris stones wrote:

> Dependency Hell !
> this is why i always compile my own applications !
>
> whoever compiled Yum for you was running SELinux.
> and so he decided to link the binarys againsed it...

Not at all. The OP is Running RH9 and has updated. Latedt RH variant is
Fedora2 which comes with...

(wait for it)

SELinux.

It's just simply that the OP is trying to install the Fedora2 RPMs.

May I suggest upgrading to Fed2 or trying to find RH9 RPMs?

Simon