[Nottingham] k3b install, yum, gcc and libs

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Sep 17 14:23:42 BST 2004

This could become a thread on dependancy dependance vs depedancy independace!

I ought to make it clear that although I've not actually tried burning anything yet, I'm pretty sure the problem is sorted.  But what the hey, this is pretty interesting anyway.

If I've got this right, if you use rpms they install binaries that are dependant on other bits of the system.  If you haven't go them, then the rpm can't install.  If you get the source code, it compiles with what you've got on the system already.  But if you use the rpm, once it's running then 'its safe' amd chris tarrant can't takwe it away from you.  If you compile from source, and then change/upgrade something significant on your system then you might need to recompile again?

It sounds like horses for courses, and ceratinly worth being aware of...

Cheers for further expending my linux education,

Dave