[Nottingham] New Fedora install/OOo and FireFox

Peter Taffs ptaffs at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 20 23:22:42 BST 2004

>> Installing new software (like Firefox or OpenOffice) thats in testing
>> - any experiences? Does one have to do the equivalent to a
>> dist-upgrade?

Hi

I don't know if i'm answering the question, but.....

I've installed both of these (OOo 1.1.2 and Firefox 0.9.3) from generic
windows type installers from the product websites. Having said that,
both were confusing:

OOo requires a network install for the system then a user install for
each person.

FireFox installed itself on top of the distro files in my home
directory, so to run it i do:

peter at icecube:~> ./firefox-installer/firefox &

I don't like the binary being here but there are other things to worry
about.....