[Nottingham] Re: Restarting my server

James Gibbon jg at jamesgibbon.com
Sun Sep 26 12:33:50 BST 2004

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:09:26 +0100
Danny King <danny at rootshell.be> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just installed TSL Linux (A secure Linux distro aimed at server's) on
> my server box and I'm having a problem with restarting... (I've never
> had this problem before with TSL, maybe its something else?)
>
> When i reboot from the command line through control alt delete it
> correctly shuts down all the daemons and loggers etc but freezes after
> the "Restarting System" line.

I had the same problem with Slackware 9.1 & 10.0 and my second desktop,
an old Compaq deskpro.  After a fair bit of trial and error involving rmmod-ing
modules and rebooting, it turned out that  agpgart was causing the trouble.  I
fixed it by simply adding an "rmmod agpgart" in rc.6 to remove the module on
reboot, and it's rebooted cleanly ever since.

Might be worth trying something similar on your server  (not necessarily with
agpgart of course).

James