[Nottingham] Deciphering a kernel Ooops

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Wed Sep 29 22:12:47 BST 2004

Martin wrote:

> Just had this system slowly die just now. Checking the logs, the only
> anomalies are a few fd0 errors for a dodgy floppy disk from yesterday,
> and a kernel Ooops from earlier this morning.
>
> So who can give a more human translation of the Ooops message?

Apologies for not picking up your mail earlier - I'm behind on my weekly
uk LUG syncing...being on about 25 LUGs around the world is fun.

> The PID 29632 is something that was a newly created task at about that
> time.
>
> /var/log/messages snippet attached.
>
> Mandrake 10.0.1, AMD 1800XP Palomino, 2x HDDs, nVidia AGP graphics card,
> MSI K7T266 Pro2RU motherboard.

You really want to translate that oops for me or send me your kernel
image and System.map but since I'm feeling like distraction...I've
downloaded kernel-enterprise-2.4.25.2mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm from
mirror.ac.uk as a guestimate of what you're running. If you had 2.6 then
it would be shouting at us much more loudly and usefully so I'm assuming
2.4.x until you tell me otherwise.

jcm at perihelion:~/mdk_debug/boot$ cat oops.txt | ksymoops -V -K -L -O -m
System.map-2.4.25-2mdkenterprise  >oops_decoded.txt

This doesn't seem to match up - what are you running?

Jon.