[Nottingham] Re: *** THIS WED *** 06/04/2005 'LAN Party & Fix-it Evening' for a Linux housewarming party

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Mon Apr 4 18:11:55 BST 2005

On Monday 04 Apr 2005 15:39, Simon Osborne wrote:
> If it interests anybody I've got the ISO images for Ubuntu 5.04 RC
> i386 and PPC on my machine.

In what may be a surprise move to those of you who've seen the Aldred
household snuggle itself into Mandrake over the last year, we have the ISO
for Kubuntu 5.04 final RC  (Kubuntu = Ubuntu with KDE instead of Gnome) as
well - and it's running on the laptop.

First reactions: the whole thing seems quick and responsive (allowing for the
hardware it's using!), despite being seemingly optimised for 386 rather than
586.   KDE3.4 is definitely an improvement over previous releases, and is
very well integated into Kubuntu - to the extent that Mandrake 2005LE is
going to have to be easy to upgrade to KDE3.4 to remain the Aldred distro of
choice.

OTOH, there seems to be no equivalent of MCC, and whilst KDE has a lot of the
functionality of MCC within it, there are some issues: generally, (K)Ubuntu
doesn't seem nearly as well set up to handle network services.

If we're there on Wednesday (possible atm) we'll bring a CD for copying.

--
David Aldred