[Nottingham] BIG disk bootup fun

Spandex nottlug at spandex.nildram.co.uk
Tue Apr 5 15:32:02 BST 2005

M> How does the BIOS get to the overlay software when the big HDD isn't
M> even recognisable to the BIOS to read anything?

I'm outside the limits of my knowledge now tbh... It all got a bit
"voodoo".. I read a lot of things.. tried a lot of things and when one
worked I stopped fiddling.  Sorry, I understand that's hardly helpful
:/

One thing I do remember is that it gave me some settings for the BIOS,
where I turned off autodetect and set the sectors/cylinders stuff by
hand.

The utility I used was called "MaxBlast" and was a free download from
the Maxtor site.  The disk is a Maxtor 6Y160P0, 160Gb.  It's only
giving me 112Gb capacity, but that's plenty for what I need so I
stopped worrying about it :)

Matt