[Nottingham] Wireless AP setup.

Eaton, Jon (Corp) Jon.Eaton at eon-uk.com
Thu Apr 7 11:39:57 BST 2005

Hi, was good to finally put a few names to faces last night. A couple of
people asked about the AP mode I had my PC in last night, so I thought I
would share just how easy it is.

I was using the Hostap drivers on a SMC branded 802.11b (prism) card.
You must not have IP configured on either the physical interfaces.
Configure it on interface br0 after everything is up and running if so
required.

First off get the wireless card up and running as an AP. I used channel
11 with a SSID of nlug & no wep.

ifconfig wlan0 down
iwconfig wlan0 essid nlug
iwconfig wlan0 channel 11
iwconfig wlan0 key off
iwconfig wlan0 mode Master
iwconfig wlan0 commit		# may be required by some cards.
ifconfig wlan0 0.0.0.0 up

Then just set a bridge up between the two interfaces eth0 and wlan0.

ifconfig br0 down
brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 wlan0
ifconfig br0 up

To show the bridge status and forwarding table :-

brctl show
brctl showmacs br0

Its as simple as that.

Regards,
Jon

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the E.ON Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the E.ON Group.

E.ON UK plc, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

E.ON UK Trading Ltd, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

E.ON UK Trading Ltd is regulated by the Financial Services Authority to carry out investment activities.

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432