[Nottingham] Re: Web server questions

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Sat Apr 9 17:51:08 BST 2005

On Saturday 09 Apr 2005 17:32, Joshua Lock wrote:
> I thought of that but I'm worried about visitors to site1, a formal
> site, stumbling accross site2 (at say http://site1.tld/site2_folder)
> when site 2 is unrelated and less formal. What I'd like to do is hide
> site2 unless it is accessed via the redirection URL.

I've got a numer of sites (hosted at Orchard Hosting) which are all under my
main domain there.  My domains mumpers.org.uk and cclgb.org.uk are served
from the public_html/mumpers and public_html/cclgb directories respectively.

As far as I can see, no-one starting at http://www.mumpers.org.uk can get to
any of the cclgb.org.uk pages.   I'm not too bothered if people going
directly to my main domain name find the linked info, since they'd be likely
to know about my involvement in both anyway!

Does your host allow you to do somehting like this?  All it actually needs is
for you to be able to associate a domain with  directory, and it sounds as
though this is possible.   You might need a further domain name to sit at the
'top of the tree', though, unless you can have webspace under a username
rather than a domain name.

--
David Aldred