[Nottingham] Re: Web server questions

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Sat Apr 9 20:13:07 BST 2005

On Saturday 09 Apr 2005 19:29, James Gibbon wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 17:50:52 +0100
>
> David Aldred <david at familyaldred.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Saturday 09 Apr 2005 17:32, Joshua Lock wrote:
> > > I thought of that but I'm worried about visitors to site1, a formal
> > > site, stumbling accross site2 (at say http://site1.tld/site2_folder)
> > > when site 2 is unrelated and less formal. What I'd like to do is hide
> > > site2 unless it is accessed via the redirection URL.
> >
> > I've got a numer of sites (hosted at Orchard Hosting) which are all under
> > my main domain there.  My domains mumpers.org.uk and cclgb.org.uk are
> > served from the public_html/mumpers and public_html/cclgb directories
> > respectively.
>
> Are these (or more to the point, do they have to be) different IP
> addresses?

[david at main david]$ dig cclgb.org.uk

; <<>> DiG 9.3.0 <<>> cclgb.org.uk
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ANSWER SECTION:
cclgb.org.uk.           14400   IN      A       209.51.140.90

[david at main david]$ dig mumpers.org.uk

; <<>> DiG 9.3.0 <<>> mumpers.org.uk
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ANSWER SECTION:
mumpers.org.uk.         14400   IN      A       209.51.140.90

... So it looks as though it works with two on the same IP!

Quite how its done I'm not sure - I haven't looked too closely at Hosting
Unlimited, but their resources include a tutorial on using cpanel, which is
the same 'front end' my host provides.  I  think the bit you need there may
be 'addon domains'.

--
David Aldred