[Nottingham] Re: Probing the mysteries of xorg.conf

James Gibbon jg at jamesgibbon.com
Tue Apr 26 20:47:49 BST 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:59:35 +0100
Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:

> You should be able to guess my preferred resolution!
>
> And you could always use a dedicated ModeLine for what you think should
> work.
>
> Another check: Are you looking in the correct .conf? Mine for xorg.conf
> is a link to XF86Config. (Note, no "-4".)

Many thanks, Martin; I fixed this earlier on by using the mga driver instead
of vesa, and yes it was the correct config file :)

I didn't get 1280x1024, but I _did_ get 1152x864, which I'm happy with.

Xorg.0.log tells me "Not using default mode "1280x1024" (insufficient
memory for mode)" which I'm slightly surprised about, but since it seems
so emphatic about it, and 1152x864 will do me nicely, I'm inclined to take
its word for it.

By the way, the list seems to be playing up .. I responded to Michael's
question about DVD reauthoring last night, as I've tinkered with this very
successfully myself over the last couple of months, but my reply hasn't hit
the list yet for some reason.

Cheers
James