[Nottingham] Going inSANE???

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Thu Apr 28 22:11:16 BST 2005

I can't work out why my scanner isn't co-operating with me!

Mandrake Control Centre reports no configured  scanners, and doesn't offer the
model I havefor manual installation.  However, from all I've looked at, it
should be there already.

It's an Artec e+48u clone, and has worked previously in Mandrake (previous
version).

Relevant bits:

Partial Output from sane-find-scanner:

> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
> mage -L and read the backend's manpage.

From scanimage -L
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

(yes, it is plugged in & turned on!)

/etc/sane.d/artec_eplus48u.conf:

> # artec_eplus48u - SANE Backend configuration file
> # For use with the Artec E+ 48U scanner
> # This scanner is also sold as
> # Tevion MD 9693, Medion MD 9705, Medion MD 9693,
> # Trust Easy Webscan 19200, Memorex Mem 48U or Umax AstraSlim SE.
> #
> # The USB section:
> # each device needs at least the following line:
> # usb vendor-ID and product-ID
> # Every device configuration in this file must begin with an usb entry.
> usb 0x05d8 0x4003
>
> #
> # Path to the firmware file
> # This file comes with the Windows driver
> # The scanner won't work without it
> #
>
> option artecFirmwareFile /usr/share/sane/firmware/Artec48.usb
>
> #
> # for adjusting the default gamma values
> #
>

> #Use this options to set the default offset and exposure time values.
>

> # The vendor and model string
> # This string is displayed by the frontends. If you do not want to get your
> # scanner reported as "Artec E+ 48U", then change the option accordingly.
> vendorString Artec
> modelString E+ 48U
>
> #
> #device-name Artec e+48u
> #
> # If autodetection does not work, then you can specify the device here
> # The device entry must be the last one in this config file (or the last one
before a
> # new usb entry).
>
> #If you are using libusb, a device looks like this:
> device libusb:002:003
>
> #If you are using the scanner module (kernel driver), a device looks like
this:
> #device /dev/usbscanner

- The firmware file is in the indicated location.
- /etc/sane.d/dll.conf does contain the line "artec_eplus48u"

I just can't see what's missing!

--
David Aldred