[Nottingham] LCD "Burn-in"

ForkBombFluf fluf at freeshell.org
Thu Aug 4 15:17:24 BST 2005

This is mostly for Michael Simms, since he was the one contemplating his
LCD quandary yesterday, but I thought others might be interested as well.

It seems that LCD panels can (contrary to popular urban legend) show a
phenomenon similiar to CRT burn-in which is known as "image persistence".
Image persistance is theoritically a temporary and fixable state, however,
unlike the "burn" suffered by CRT phosphors which will never again regain
that youthful glow.  The answer, according to the manufacturers of LCD
panels, is to leave the panel off for the same amount of time that the
offending image was displayed on the screen and all should eventually
return to normal.  Another (quicker) option (as suggested at this rather
interesting web page--
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/lcd-screen-burn.html
  )is to set the screen to show all white (ie. a blank white screen
saver).  Anyway, that's a bit of my curiosity satisfied for today.

I would also like to know if Duncan managed to come up with a Unified
theory relating to gravity, light, astrophysics, and other space-time
phenomenon after a few more pints of cider, or if he just gave up and
"whipped it out" in end as threatened... but alas, I may never discover a
foolproof way of knowing the real truth.

Cheers,

-Stef