[Nottingham] OT: PC-BSD

Brian Pickford Brian at brianpickford.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 17:20:27 BST 2005

I was reading up on the PC-BSD webby  http://www.pcbsd.org recently
during a random E-break at work. I thought that it would be ideal for
installing on old machines.
So I tried it on a and old (K6-II-500, 128M PC100 Ram, 8Gig HD) machine
I was intending to give to my mother-in-law so she could try 'this inter
web thing'
I was very impressed, so I have installed it on my main browsing / mail
machine (Compaq AP400 work station PIII600) It seems to be very lean and
fast, although I have to re compile the kernel to support smp.

- One cd install most things auto detected runs KDE 3.4 and a small
cluster of apps out of the box.
- pbi's install like windows exe's.
- Linux binary compatability.
- Can also use the BSD ports system.

Thought I'd reccomend it to the group for a look see

Cheers, Brian