[Nottingham] [Talks] *** This Wed *** 17/08/05 1: Databases; 2: SCM

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 14:26:09 BST 2005

Folks,

This Wednesday 17/08/05 we are proud to present two 'demi-talks':

1: Databases {DJF}

Not so long ago in a Lugmeet not far away a riddler did pose these
questions three...

    1. What is a database?
    2. Why or when should I use a database?
    3. How do I use a database?

These questions will be answered in this introductory who where what why
when of databases and how to access them from your
C/PERL/Python/PHP/COBOL ...... code.

2: Source Code Management {RP}

If you develop software/documents/websites then SCM is a tool you will
use frequently as an editor.

Open source and its ideals of sharing depend on being able to
effectively transmit the changes in a project from one contributor to
another. SCM is the "killer app" of sharing change.

So on this whirlwind tour of SCM we will cover:

     * SCM context: what it is
     * SCM approaches: file vs. patch
     * RCS and VSS: wrinkly SCM
     * CVS and Subversion: for all you prospective sourceforge junkies
     * Git and Arch: patching and proud

All at the usual venues.
See http://www.nottingham.lug.org.uk/
for further details.