[Nottingham] Booting Headless

Teh Gooroo tehgooroo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 23:41:28 BST 2005

On 8/18/05, Michael Leuty <mike at leuty.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 18 Aug 2005 20:21, Chris Dawson wrote:
> > I'd like to boot it headless but I can't seem to find a way to avoid
> > logging on with username and PW.
>
> I think you just boot it. Once up and running you can log in remotely
> using ssh.

If you run gdm/kdm/xdm at boot and let it broadcast (a few easily
found self explanatory tweaks in /etc/X11/*), you should just be able
to run gdm or similar on your client and find it.
or x -query 192.168.0.1 (or whatever the headless b0x ip is)

A reasonable, if somewhat outdated, introduction:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XDM-Xterm/

personally i recommend gdm over k/xdm just for shear ease of use. (and
its better at the all important pretties imho.. cept maybe entrance...
/ramble)

Brain(s): 0.0% user, 1.3% system, 0.1% nice, 98.6% idle