[Nottingham] Documentation...

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Fri Aug 19 15:13:09 BST 2005

In another thread, the two Martins chirrupped:
> Martin Garton wrote:
>> Surely just restarting the memory-leaking application(s) should be
>> enough?
>>
>> Personally I reboot certain machines regularly just to be sure I have
>> all the config saved properly (e.g. iptables rules) and the correct
>> services set to start up on boot etc.
>
> Now that is good practice.
>
> I've been caught out a few times with extra 'tweaks' made manually
> after boot that are then long forgotten for whatever reboot a few
> months later...

Which raises an interesting question:

Are you a documenter? Do you bother, do you walk round with it all in
your head, do you feel like documentation is "the castor oil of
technology - everyone knows it's a good thing, it just tastes
disgusting when you're asked to write it"?

I only ask as (obviously) if you documented your tweaks then you should
be able to forget them safe in the knowledge that next time you need
them, you'll know where to look.

As for me - I hate writing it, but I've got to start writing it more often.

Graeme

--
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for
I may not follow.