[Nottingham] Bad passwd characters

Robert Hart enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Aug 23 11:14:36 BST 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 21:53 +0100, Martin wrote:
> What were those troublesome characters mentioned many lugs ago that
> cause confusion when entered on the commandline to "passwd"?

Dunno about what was mentioned in the lug, but I know using tab can be a
mistake. As far as I know this works fine for passwd and standard login,
but may cause problems in GUI environments where tab will shift input to
the next control.

Possibly not a problem on linux guis like gdm, but if you have a common
password system between linux and windows than you can come a real
cropper if you can't log back in again to change it back.

Rob

--
Robert Hart <enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk>
University of Nottingham