[Nottingham] Help wanted in Hucknall

Chris Booth Chris.Booth at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Dec 20 18:09:57 GMT 2005

>>> michael at tuxgames.com 20/12/2005 16:53:04 >>>
>On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 15:49 +0000, Paul Sladen wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Dave Chapman wrote:
>> > Last week I dropped off a box at my parents house in Hucknall it has OpenSUSE
>> > 10 installed on it.  What I need is someone to go round and get them connected.
>>
>> I hope you found somebody to help you;  IIRC the modems from NTL come with
>> an ethernet lead so if they could manage to plug this in it should just
>> work.  Even if the "engineer" does this and then the machine boots up
>> running something other than Windows it should still work and DHCP
>> automagically.
>>
>> 	-Paul
>
>When I did this some years ago, they used to lock the MAC address that
>the router would talk to as the first one it finds. As such you cant
>configure with a windows box and then just plug a linux box in there.
>You need to either dual-boot or install windows/install linux on that
>box, or possibly easier put the card in a windows box, configure, move
>to linux box.
>
>--
>Michael Simms - CEO, Tux Games
>http://www.tuxgames.com

Or,

Change the mac address on the Linux box to match the mac address of the Windows box.

On Windows open a command prompt and do:  ipconfig /all
Windows calls the MAC address the physical address.
If the MAC address is, say, 00:01:02:03:04:05
then on the Linux box do:
  ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:01:02:03:04:05

This won't be permanent across reboots. You'll have to edit the appropriate file in the /etc/hierarchy wherever SuSE puts it.