[Nottingham] Some fun with the "free" VMware Player

Michael Erskine michael.erskine at ketech.com
Wed Dec 21 10:47:32 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I don't know if anyone else is having a bash at this: I saw an article on
RootPrompt yesterday afternoon about running multiple operating systems with
VMware (http://RootPrompt.org/article.php3?article=9497 -->
http://linux.wolphination.com/?p=18). I haven't looked at world of VMware for
about a year (I used the rather pricey VMware Workstation 3.1.1 extensively
for platform testing a while ago) so I had a quick read and found that VMware
now provide a "free" VMware "Player". This morning I downloaded and installed
the Player, and I'm in the midst of running a Breezy install on a virtual
machine. So far, so good! I wonder how this "free" (as in beer) product
compares with other virtual machine environments currently available under
Linux (UML etc.) - perhaps some of our list members have had some experience
with the truly free (as in freedom) equivalents and could comment.

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
It's not reality or how you perceive things that's important -- it's
what you're taking for it...