[Nottingham] Some fun with the "free" VMware Player

Johannes Kling jok at printk.net
Wed Dec 21 11:53:24 GMT 2005

Hello,

> So far, so good! I wonder how this "free" (as in beer) product
> compares with other virtual machine environments currently available under
> Linux (UML etc.)

As I understand it, the two do different things: VMWare emulates an
entire computer, UML "just" lets you run a kernel image (and wouldn't,
for example, let you run Windows or any other non-linux OS). If Linux
is all you need, though, and your interested in virtualisation, have a
look at Xen:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/index.html

It does just what it says on the tin and is dead simple to set up.

Regards,
  Jo

--
"I shall press on valiantly in the face of apathy." -- cmg