[Nottingham] Setting up usb writer

Nexus nexus at toosexyforyou.com
Thu Feb 3 01:22:39 GMT 2005

Hello to all NLUGers,

Can someone assist me in getting my usb connected writer to work again
under Mandrake-Linux 10.1.

It worked fine under 10.0 and I never thought to look at the entries in
fstab (I wonder why?) anyhow I put /dev/sda /mnt/writer auto
umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,rw,exec,users 0 0
(got these settings from another machine with a writer installed) in fstab.

When I try to mount the device I get an error msg. 'Not a valid block
device' I do a reboot and my system hangs at the 'initializing usb devices'
stage, however if I unplug the usb cable my system will continue the boot
process.

Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

Yours Nexus :-)