[Nottingham] Vhosts problem

Paul Sladen notlug at paul.sladen.org
Wed Feb 9 12:28:16 GMT 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Robert Ross wrote:

Hello Robert,

> so they looked something like: <VirtualHost joe.bloggs.co.uk> and it

One thing I was caught out by with this, is that if DNS is
broken/unreachable at the time Apache is started, it breaks.

Examples of this might be:

  1.  Newly-created domain not just in the DNS
  2.  After a UPS failure when Apache comes up before the resolvers
  3.  Please attempting to configure Bind who shouldn't be...

I tend to hard-code of the IP address here to avoid this;  eg:

  <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4>

Although you will need to update this during migration.

	-Paul
--
Is there no safe way to travel?  London, GB