[Nottingham] Multi-processor machines

Mike Cardwell lug at blubbernet.com
Wed Feb 9 20:33:42 GMT 2005

Hi,

Currently, I have a single cpu machine running Debian that has a single
task. Images are sent to it, they are processed in a certain way, and then
are sent back.

Because the processing can potentially use a lot of memory, a queue is
created and one image is processed at a time to stop the machine from
thrashing it's swap.

I am soon going to have access to a machine with dual cpus. It would make
sense to have both cpus working on separate images simultaneously.

My question is, is it possible with Linux to force processes to run on
particular CPU's? Or am I missing the point entirely?

I doubt it makes any difference, but the program I'm using is something I
wrote my self in perl.

Mike