[Nottingham] Multi-processor machines

Robert Hart enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Feb 10 11:12:30 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 23:33 +0000, Mike Cardwell wrote:

> I was hoping to have a server written which would fork off a separate
> process for each cpu on startup, and then could pass jobs onto each of
> these cpus as they became "idle". both of the forked processes could end
> up on the same cpu at startup though and all of the jobs would then be
> done on just the one.
>
> However, I suppose I could fork off a separate process for each job as it
> comes in and smp might handle it better.
>
> I could work around the problem of not being able to choose a cpu if a
> particular process could identify which cpu it was running on too. That
> must be possible.

Processes will move around from one CPU to another. If you have two
processes running they will end up on different CPUs regardless of when
they started or how long they have been running for.

If you really insist on forcing a process to stay on one CPU only (which
I think is a bad thing), then you can. Try install schedutils on debian.
Never tried it myself.

Rob

--
Robert Hart <enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk>