[Nottingham] Multi-processor machines

Tom Bird tom at marmot.org.uk
Sat Feb 12 18:27:51 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 17:52 +0000, Mike Cardwell wrote:

> That's the piece of knowledge I was missing. I thought once a process was
> running on a cpu, it would stay on that cpu for it's lifetime. Guess I
> don't need to do anything special in this case then. Thanks.

The only potential problem you could run into is on multiple
hyperthreading cpus, the older kernels don't know about HT and can often
load one CPU up and leave the other idle, since HT is *not* dual core,
this slows things down.

Newer kernels will have an option to make the scheduler HT aware.

--
Tom