[Nottingham] Samba (again)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat Jan 1 19:21:33 GMT 2005

Steve Caddy wrote:
[...]
> like the price tag that comes with a 2003 server, so I suggested that
> one of their old P233 boxes running linux would be ok.
>
> Then things began to go wrong :-/
[...]

The various howtos should work. You need to understand how roaming
profiles work.

Easiest is to create a linux user for each windows user and then have
/IDENTICAL/ usernames and passwords for both. Otherwise, check up on
using LDAP etal... Depends on how many people you're serving as to which
is easiest.

Samba is easy for the NT series of Windows (NT, Win2k, WinXP). Note
that Win95 and Win98 require special treatment.

And a 233MHz box is a little slow if it is up against GHz class
machines! It'll work, but don't expect high speed...

Don't try the new Samba 4 yet. Keep with the older reliable stuff.

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk